Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Horn flavors...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member grasshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2006
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Altec history is certainly a classic one with regard to American industry. I see all sorts of things Altec made showing up (on eBay, Audiogon, etc) that I have never seen before. As a new Altec enthusiast, I wonder what various types of horns Altec made throughout their run- specifically materials, size, and so forth. For example, did Altec make many plastic horns? Did they make many mid/high freq wooden horns?

    School me...

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Many more people here can give you a much better history then I can.

    Many of the Mantary horns and even their curved radial horns were made of plastic. I don't know of any horns made by Altec that were made of wood. Plastic and metal and even Fiberglass were the only materials I know Altec used.

    Altec's horns are legendary. The sectorial horns and the Multi-Cell horns dating back to the 40's set the standard. The 811 and 511 are still considered by many people to be the sweatest sounding horn EVER made.

    Their CD horns (Mantaray) design are copied and used in some sort by many other manufacturers.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Horn flavors...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Plastic, metal, and fiberglass pretty much covers it. The only thing I can add is I understand the 808 multicell was made of urethane foam during WWII when aluminum was unavailable. Don't believe Altec made any wooden horns. Have never heard of one.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Wagtbtoobz's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2005
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And don't forget that Altec made many PA outdoor systems where wood couldn't suffer rain/sun changes !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.